There’s something about the bright color of M&M’s against a cookie that makes them so tempting. I like M&M’s by themselves, but if you put them in a cookie, I’m all there. When I was a kid, our local grocery store had the cookie club, and you could go to the bakery counter and get a cookie every time you went into the store. I always looked forward to that little treat, especially because they usually had M&M cookies in the bin. There’s just something about them that trumps even the good old fashioned chocolate chip for me sometimes. So, when I found myself with a bag of M&M’s in the cupboard (really? who forgets that they have M&M’s in the cupboard? Yeah – that’s me.), I set out to turn them into gluten-free M&M cookies.
I’ve always liked cookies to be crispy on the outer edges but still keep that chewy middle…kind of like those great big soft-n-chewy cookies you can get from the huge cookie places in the malls. I will admit that I wasn’t sure I was going to get there with a gluten free flour blend. I just wasn’t sure that a gluten free version was really going to hold together the same way. I figured that the best place to start was with a recipe that I already knew worked.
It didn’t take a whole lot of modification to this recipe to adjust for the lack of gluten. Imagine my surprise when I pulled a tray out of the oven only to find that I had those flat, crispy-edged, chewy cookies I had imagined with the colorful, chocolatey crunch of the M&M’s throughout. These are all of that – and I couldn’t have been happier!!!!
If you really want the M&M’s to shine in these cookies, you can make up the dough without the candies, scoop them onto the cookie sheets and then press the candies into the top of the dough balls. The kids LOVE doing this part, and they’re pretty good at it. Admittedly, I didn’t do it that way with this batch, and I missed the way that the M&M’s usually stand out. I won’t make that mistake again. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a good-looking cookie! If you’re looking for a gluten-free cookie recipe that is sure to be a hit for the kids (or even just for your own sweet tooth), give this recipe a try. I hope you love it as much as I do!
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup M&M’s
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cream together the butter and the sugars in the mixer on medium speed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla, then gradually incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Let the dough sit for ten minutes, then mix for about five minutes.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop by the teaspoon for small cookies or tablespoon for huge cookies.
- Press the M&M’s into the scoops (or just incorporate them into the dough right before you scoop).
- Bake the cookies for 9 minutes for small cookies or 11 minutes for huge cookies.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for five minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.