Our kids love Rice Krispy treats. Cereal and marshmallow? What’s not to love? I haven’t made them in a long time, but when Chris came home with gluten free chocolate crispy cereal the other day, it was one of the first things I thought of. I didn’t really feel like making homemade marshmallow to make them, though. Don’t get me wrong – I absolutely love our marshmallow recipe. They’re fabulous. It just wasn’t in the cards that day.
I decided that I’d try a slightly different approach and make a little bit sweeter dessert treat out of them without the marshmallow. Instead, I opted for some melted chocolate, maple syrup and butter to create a binder to hold them all together. But, is that enough? Well, maybe. Ha! Who am I kidding? That’s NOT enough for this girl. Never. They needed something……more. When all else fails, add more chocolate, right? Yeah, I said it.
White chocolate. I wanted a contrasting flavor (not to mention, don’t they look pretty?!?) with the sweeter white chocolate on the outside, but I didn’t want too much of it. I wanted just enough of the white chocolate to add a hint of creamy sweetness without overpowering the bars. So, I mixed up the bar ingredients and pressed them into a wax-paper-lined pan. After about an hour in the fridge, they’d set up enough to cut.
I cut small squares and then put them back in the fridge to keep them cold so they didn’t fall apart before I had everything else ready. Then, I melted about four ounces of white chocolate. I wanted it visible, so I dipped the entire bottom of each bar in white chocolate first. I set them upside down on wax paper so the chocolate could set up. Then, I warmed the leftover chocolate again and put it in a piping bag with a number 1 writing tip.
With the un-dipped side facing up, I drizzled white chocolate over the tops of the bars. I love the look of the lines over the top – it’s just such a nice contrast against the dark chocolate color of the bars. I can’t even believe how well it all goes together. They are super-rich, so small squares are definitely enough. Okay….you wanna try ‘em? Here’s the recipe!
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup maple syrup (or corn syrup or honey)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups of chocolate crispy rice cereal
- 4 ounces of white chocolate
- Combine the chocolate chips, maple syrup, butter and salt in a small saucepan.
- Warm over medium-low heat until the chocolate melts and everything is combined, stirring with a rubber spatula.
- Add the vanilla and stir well.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal in a large bowl, then stir to combine well.
- Spread the mixture into a wax-paper-lined 9-inch square pan, pressing it down to compact it all.
- Chill the mixture for an hour so everything sets up.
- Cut in small squares, then return to the fridge.
- Melt the white chocolate in a small glass bowl.
- Dip the squares in the chocolate, then place them upside down on a wax-paper-lined baking sheet.
- Return to the fridge for 20 minutes to set the chocolate.
- Flip the treats over, then warm the white chocolate again.
- Put the melted chocolate into a pastry bag fitted with a #1 tip or with the very end snipped off.
- Drizzle the lines of white chocolate over the top, then chill.
- Keep them in the fridge to keep them solid, then remove them about 15 minutes before you want to eat one.